El Paso Truck Accident Lawyer
CALL NOW: 1-800-862-1260
When involved in a crash with a semi-truck, a single passenger vehicle will frequently have a high serious injury or fatality rate. Single passenger vehicles are smaller in nature, with semis weighing in about 15 to 20 times more than cars.
Because of this, getting into an accident while trucking can have some serious consequences. The majority of these accidents happen en route on major highways and roads such as I-10, US 86 and US 54 in El Paso. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 17% of fatal injuries occurred in Texas in 2016.
With such rates, it is integral to practice safe trucking techniques to help lower accident rates. However, if you or someone you know has been involved in a trucking accident and have suffered injuries, our El Paso truck accident lawyer are waiting to take your call. Having an attorney on your side will help you through the legal issues and insurance agents, all while making sure you have the right representation on your side.
Common Trucking Accident Causes
Being in a trucking accident is potentially serious to your future health and well being. Knowing the most common causes of crashes can help drivers prepare for safe practices and victims identify where wrongful action has occurred. Three common causes include:
- Truck driving requires long hours on the road through day and night. Fatigue can set in because of this. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, most trucking accidents occur between 6-9 p.m., which is when fatigue will set in. Driver fatigue is one of the top causes of truck driving accidents.
- Improper truck maintenance
- Because semi-trucks are much larger than cars, they take significantly longer to brake than normal cars. This alone should be cause for truck drivers to check their rig and brakes before long hauls. Making sure brakes and tires are in good condition will help immensely while on the road.
- Driving a semi-truck is far different from driving a car. Packing the truck with improper weight distribution, or simply being unaware of blind spots, can cause accidents. If you are an inexperienced driver, simply practicing and seeking help from others more experienced will improve your driving–and possibly save a life.
If you are in the El Paso area and have been in an accident, the truck accident lawyer at Carabin Shaw wants to take your case.
Types of Injuries
Although fatalities are about ten times more likely in a large truck collision, other types of injuries can occur. However, just because a crash is not fatal does not mean that it is not serious. Here are some common injuries that can occur:
- Head, Neck, and Spine
- Head and neck injuries are common in car accidents, especially semi-truck collisions. In addition, the spine can be affected during crashes due to the speed and impact. Spinal injuries can be serious, sometimes causing paralysis.
- Seat Belt Injuries
- Seat belt injuries can occur due to the speed and impact of the crash. Though the seatbelt can keep your body intact, your head and neck may be jolted around, which can cause whiplash.
- Internal damage
- Once again, due to the mass and speed at which trucking accidents can occur, this can lead to serious damages to internal organs. These injuries may not be as obvious right away and can impair your quality of life later on.
If you have been in a trucking accident and have sustained any of these injuries, contacting a truck injury lawyer in El Paso will increase your chance of achieving a settlement to help with health costs.